Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Gazing through a window into periwinkle dreams . . .



It's blue week for Summer of Color, and I decided to make this little ATC (artist trading card for those who have never heard of them before) for my first piece.  

I love working with neutral and grayed-down colors, so I used a muted periwinkle blue as the dominant color.  Inhabiting this 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 inch space is a character of mine who shows up a lot in my sketchbook and school notebook margins, a fluffy-haired Victorian-coat-wearing man with his three raven companions.

I used watercolor and brown ink washes first, layered Sanguine, Sepia, and White Prismacolor pastel pencils over that, and finished the detailing using Micron pens. 

Can't wait to start my piece for next week, this time the color is going to be green!  

8 comments:

  1. Oh, this is just wonderful! I love the idea that the same character keeps coming up in your work - and it's a beautiful representation here! Thank you for sharing this with us, Kristin xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. such mystery - makes me want to make up stories about him. Love that there is so much detail on an ATC size card

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the kind words Kristin, Helena and Missy!

    I'm so glad he inspires you for storytelling Helena, I love writing and coming up with stories! I've actually had some beginnings of ideas to include him and some other characters I draw frequently into some form of narrative project, maybe a series of related pieces or an artist book with text. I'll keep everyone posted on progress with that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really unusual but I love it! Lots of stories there.

    ReplyDelete