Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Dune Spirit



When the world was new, she sculpted them out of light so that they might all share the same spirit-thread in each beating heart.

The art catch-up is almost over, this being the second to last piece.  Going through all these pieces has been a fun and reflective experience for me, I hope you've been enjoying it as much as I have.  

This piece started out as a leftover scrap from the woodshop back in college.  As soon as I began my weekly rummage through the scrap pile, I saw this orphan piece of wood with a large hole cut out of its center.  I was inspired immediately and carried it back to the painting studio.  (I miss the woodshop so much, it's where I used to get all my best wood!) 

I decided to staple canvas to the back to create a surface for painting on while still maintaining that inch of depth between the wood edge and the image (seen in the detail above).  You can see how the back looks like below.

I used acrylic paint on this one as usual, but did something knew by using gold paint mixed with ochre to glaze the wood, giving it a warm shimmer and highlighting the natural grain.

2 comments:

  1. This has a lovely feel and I love the combination of wood, canvas and paint........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, it was a very fun combination to work with!

    ReplyDelete