Monday, October 15, 2012

News and Some Squirrels





Yesterday was the fall new member jury date for the San Diego County Art Mart Association, a local club of painters, photographers, sculptors, jewelers, and other artists who sell their art bimonthly in Balboa Park.  Since I now live in San Diego again after college, I thought I'd have a go at getting in.

Early yesterday morning I packed up my work and headed out to the park.  When I arrived, the member artists were already busily setting up their wares for the day, happily chatting amongst each other and offering words of encouragement to me and the other hopefuls.  After setting up my five pieces for judging, I left the lawn to wait.  (I wanted to share a shot of my set-up, but the photos came out blurry and undefined.)

To occupy my time, I took a walk through Balboa park, visiting the main street of museums, perusing the shelves of handcrafted items in the Mingei International Museum gift shop, and appreciating the beauty of nature all around me.  While on the landing of a wooden staircase, I encountered some super friendly squirrels, aren't they cute?  They kept scuttling within a hand's distance away, so I couldn't resist taking some pictures of them.

After two hours of wandering, I came back to the SDCAMA lawn to get my results, and guess what?  I got in!  I'm so excited to be a part of this club now; I can't wait to get my city permit so I can start selling my art on weekends.  More updates on this to come, as well as my Etsy shop.  Good luck on all your artsy business endeavors as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment