Thursday, December 6, 2012

Paperclay Paintings in Progress

paperclay

In middle school, I made the ugliest clay vase known to humankind and promptly decided that sculpture was not for me.  But as the years passed I started to have ideas.  Sculpture started to sneak its way into some of my mixed media pieces.  I began to think, hey, maybe I can do this after all.

Recently I bought some Paperclay and have been experimenting with it in between paintings.  It's so much fun, I'm kind of wishing I got over my middle school trauma sooner!  Moral of the story: don't let your first impression of a medium scare you away from it permanently.  You might actually end up liking it.

For the longest time I've wanted to make some paintings that mixed 2D and 3D elements.  I'm starting small with these pieces for now, but who knows?  Maybe I'll scale up eventually. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow...it looks so lovely already. Cannot wait to see what the final outcome will look like. ^_^ Haha...oh I have had the same trauma when I was in high school. My so called "bowl" looked more like a deflated leaning tower of Pizza. *laughs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Erin! Haha, your "bowl" sounds marvelous. I'm sure it would have given my vase some tough competition in a most misshapen clay vessel contest.

      Delete