Friday, March 1, 2013

Little Round Box




I've always loved little wooden boxes.  Whenever I go to a thrift fair or flea market they're one of the things I enjoy scouring the tables for.  They make good places to stash jewelry, old buttons, feathers, and other little keepsakes, like little treasure chests.  

Recently I decided it would be fun to paint some boxes of my own for others to put their collected odds and ends in.  Here's my first experiment!  I painted this box golden brown, keeping it simple with some thin bands circling the sides and a face on the top.  It's small enough to perch on the palm of a hand.

I'm looking forward to painting more of these, experimenting with different colors and images.  I'm thinking of making some of them more elaborate, with little paintings all around like the Russian lacquer boxes I love so much.  We'll see!

2 comments:

  1. this truly came out lovely. the little bands add a special touch. I also love boxes and baskets.

    thank you for your lovely message ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, and thank you for your message as well! Ooh, baskets are another wonderful thing to collect, I especially love the ones with woven patterns.

      Delete