Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Oil Underpainting




As you can tell from the title of this post, I did something yesterday afternoon that I haven't done in a while - I started an oil painting.

When I recently organized my room (aka my studio), I picked up my box of oil painting supplies and thought, "Hey, I haven't painted with these in a while.  How cool would it be to use them all up and get rid of that Turpenoid jar once and for all?"  

And that's just what I started doing yesterday.  The weather's warmed up a lot lately, which makes my balcony the perfect spot for oil painting in the afternoon.  I can't believe its almost two years since I last painted with oils.  I don't miss the toxic smell, but the texture?  There's nothing like it.  Saying goodbye to them is going to be bittersweet.  (Looks like I'll have plenty of time to say my farewells though.  I have enough paint to last quite a while!)

2 comments:

  1. Nice palate. I started oil painting for the first time not long ago...and it is tough! Kudos to those that can do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, oil painting definitely was a little tough at first. I remember my teacher repeatedly telling me to "use more paint" until one day it just clicked.

      Delete