Tuesday, May 21, 2013

North Carolina


It's only been a week, but I've fallen in love with North Carolina.  Spring is definitely here, and everywhere I look there's the color green.  The "backyard" of my sister's place feels more like a park on the edge of a forest than the grounds of an apartment complex.  It's thrilling to be woken up by the loud honks of Canadian geese in the morning.  And walking outside to watch these birds is so much fun.


There are two lakes on opposite sides of the land, connected by rocky streams that trickle water into shallow pools like the one below.


One of the goose families has four goslings.  They're so cute!  Their fluff is starting to turn brown as they grow older, but their heads are still that characteristic chartreuse.

I've always heard stories about my days of looking at Canadian geese as a baby in a stroller.  I was born in Pennsylvania, so there were lots of them in the park where my mom would go walking with me.  I think that might explain my love for them now.




Walking form lake to lake is great, there's trees all along the path that goes right beside the lake.  There were lots of chipmunks and squirrels scampering about, but they're so fast I couldn't get a good picture! 



The water is a deep aquamarine.  Overhead the trees rustle with a light wind now and then, and turtles swim about in the depths of the lake.



I'm sad that I'll be leaving tomorrow.  It's been a great week; gotta say goodbye to all my goose friends today.

2 comments:

  1. What a pretty location! I bet you had a lot of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! It felt like being back in Santa Cruz, just with different types of trees and animals.

      Delete