Monday, June 10, 2013

Magic Box Painting Course, and the Mask Maker Drawing

mask maker pencil sketch

Remember back in April when I mentioned one of my recent goals was to get better at digital painting? In the interest of doing just that, I've signed up for Chris Oatley's Magic Box digital painting course.

Chris is a super-dedicated, generous, and amazing teacher, and the community of students at the Oatley Academy is one of the best.  The course doesn't have a defined start date, the monthly lessons begin whenever you sign up, so you can go at your own pace to fit your schedule.  I'm a couple weeks into the course (it runs for 18 months), and can't recommend it enough.  If you're looking to improve in digital painting definitely check it out.

I know this course is going to keep me on my toes.  I'm totally excited.

I'm in the middle of my first homework assignment now, which is where this underdrawing comes from.  The main character of this illustration is a mask maker; in this scene he temporarily stops his work to look pensively out the window of his shop.  I've started painting him, and can't wait to play with different color choices for the scene in some color comps.  I'll be sharing those with you soon!

2 comments:

  1. such an awesome sketch Veronica!
    wishing you a wonderful course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tammie, glad you like the drawing! It was fun getting back to doing an in-depth drawing before jumping into painting, rather than just thumbnails.

      Delete