Monday, November 24, 2014

Scavenger Creature Vis Dev


The scavenger creature makes his second appearance on the blog today!  These are some of my quick, very scribbly sketches exploring his movement and personality.



I'm planning to do a finished concept painting with this guy, so I started thinking about what kind of environments he could live in to account for his looks.

Why does he have scruffy hanging hair?  Why does he need stripes?  Why is he bluish-tealish-orangeish in color?  Why the bird feet?

At first I kept thinking of very open, grass-covered landscapes, probably since I was thinking of him as a kind of hyena.  But when I Google-searched 'savannah' I got a surprise: trees covered in hanging Spanish moss in Savannah, Georgia.

Bam!  Just like that I knew where this guy belongs.

Here are some of my sketches exploring a humid forest environment with lots of hanging plants, pools of water, and sunlight filtering through tall trees to create shadows for my creature to lurk about in.



I'm going to be doing some color and texture studies soon, so stay tuned for those.  Until next time!

2 comments:

  1. love how you found your environment for your character!
    fun to see your sketches.

    ReplyDelete