Wednesday, December 9, 2015

William-Adolphe Bouguereau Master Study

Bouguereau Master Study painting by Veronica Kosowski



Some of the best teachers I ever had were the master painters.  Back in college I got introduced to the idea of master studies, and I've always liked them as a way to learn painting techniques and strategies from the great artists.

I want to get back into doing them regularly.  My goal is to do one a week, one a month if I get too busy.  I started building the habit with William-Adolphe Bouguereau.  I love the way this guy painted skin, and the delicate glow that emanates from his subjects, which is what I focused on for this exercise.

**EDIT**

A member of the DeviantArt community let me know that this is apparently not a Bouguereau.  It's a painting in a similar style posted by contemporary artist Alexander T. Scaramanga who can be found on his DA page here.

I found this painting on Pinterest where it had been mislabeled as Bouguereau.  Apparently enough people have been mistaken by it being mislabeled that you can find it all over the internet attributed to the wrong artist.

Regardless, it's a beautiful painting that I think still deserves the title of a master work!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Veronika. This is not a painting rather it is a digital work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your reply Sam! Not sure if you had a chance to read my edit to this post, but I am indeed aware that this is not a Bouguereau and that it is a digital work by another artist on DeviantArt.

      Delete